Today I turn 31 years of age. Over the last couple of weeks a lot of significant life altering events have occurred in my life that have caused me to pause and reflect. I have learned so much in my short time on this planet in life and in business and I would love to share it with you so that it can teach, inspire and motivate you. So here goes:
31. Sometimes the workplace is like the game of Survivor. Outwit. Outplay. Outlast.
30. Learn about everything digital. Technology is changing the world, deleting some professions and creating new opportunities.
29. Network as much as you can. Not only is it fun to meet new people but these people may help you one day.
28. Choose 3 thought leaders in your field and follow them. Learn what they do, when they do it and how they do it.
27. Be the change you want to see.
26. If you are an introvert…it’s ok. Celebrate it. The world needs more introverts.
25. A great attitude will make you successful. Go get one if you don’t already have one. ; )
24. It’s better to be a great Manager, than to be a Manager as quickly as possible.
23. Take control of your own destiny and don’t let others hold you down.
22. Read. Read. And then read some more.
21. Learn how to communicate effectively. It is the greatest skill you can attain.
20. Build your resume every day through your actions.
19. Create short term and long-term goals. Document them so you can hold yourself accountable.
18. Learn about emotional intelligence. Get emotional intelligence.
17. Persevere. Don’t allow self-doubt to hold you down.
16. Never take the first offer. Always, always negotiate.
15. If you are not having fun, it’s not worth doing. Change the course.
14. Differentiate yourself. People are drawn to uniqueness.
13. Love others. Be nice to those that aren’t nice to you. Kill them with kindness.
12. Don’t crave power or money. Strive for wisdom and everything else will follow.
11. Create your own platform. Have a voice.
10. Your LinkedIn profile and Resume are not things you update when you are looking for a new job. They are fluid items that should be updated constantly.
9. Be comfortable in your own skin.
8. Find a mentor. Be a mentor.
7. Be a servant leader. Give more to your team than you take from them.
6. Dream bigger than you can think possible.
5. Invest in yourself. Learn something new every year and ensure you are growing.
4. Gain an education. Whether it be going to school, reading books, attending conferences or listening to podcasts, ensure you are learning everyday.
3. Work hard like no one is watching and compete only with yourself.
2. Live in the present. Let tomorrow worry about itself. Enjoy each day like it is your last.
1. Know your priorities. You are not invincible. Life is short. Do not let your legacy be that of a great CEO, VP, Director or Manager. Let it be that you were a great Father, Mother, Son, Daughter, Brother, Sister, Uncle, Aunt or Friend.
What one significant thing have you learned in your life thus far? Please let me know and share it with others.